Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Atrocity

So if you have not yet heard of the sickening "widespread systematic rape and pillage" of villages in the Congo, I must warn you that it is not easy news to swallow. When I first heard about it, the number of women that had been reported as being raped was around 200. Now, according to United Nations officials, the number has risen to 500, with victims as young as 7. Let me be clear, this number is just from late July into August.

In an updating article in the New York Times about the situation, it was reported that U.N. officials have also accused the Congolese soldiers of the rapes. The article pointed to serious holes in the protection of these women by the U.N.

Although the government should be in control of these situations, it is ultimately the responsibility of the U.N. to step in and help these victims when their own government fails them. The idea that agencies knew that at least a few victims were reported and didn't visit the area for days is simply not okay. What is the purpose of this organization, if not for atrocious acts as this?

It is imperative that these villagers have more support than they are getting. That much is obvious.

When I was walking to class today, I was worried about how wet my backpack was getting. Not whether or not I would have a safe, comfortable, dry place to lay my head at night. I was not worried about having enough food to fill my stomach. My thoughts weren't burdened with images of my family being murdered, or fear of me being raped by violent militants. My thoughts were dreaming of a Spring Break trip I wanted to take. The fact that we as a culture take for granted so many things that these people don't even know exist is truly sad. To know that they would be grateful knowing they didn't have to worry about being brutally attacked in their own homes is enough to make me not want to eat my dinner, which probably cost enough to feed a family for a week.

The people of the Congo, and many other places for that matter, are in need of our help. For some people, that will mean just actually thinking about their problems, and praying for them. For others, it will mean finding ways to help physically, and traveling to their aid. And for others it will mean rallying for the good people of the country and bringing to light the despicable acts that take place there. It doesn't matter at what capacity one serves, as long as people can just take time to realize that there are far worse circumstances that they could be living in, and try to better the people living through them.

The U.N. has a great mission. It just needs to be more diligent in helping following through with prompt aid to those who need it.






Links to the the article of site of the photo are below:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/world/africa/08nations.html?ref=africa
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4184706.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment