Monday, September 13, 2010

Life's a dance

Well, this has been a crazy two weeks. My community lost three great people. It was the nine year anniversary of 9/11. Kanye did well at the VMA's. And it is the two year anniversary of Hurricane Ike, as well as my 19th birthday.

I would like to start out with just sharing some small memories of the three amazing people who lost their lives recently-- Billie, Lauren and Mickey. Billie was my mom's friend. She went to our church. She was a laughter- filled, wise, beautiful woman. She was strong and courageous. She let me gaze in awe of her (awesome) cars. Billie lost her long battle with cancer. Lauren was a young, talented, beautiful girl. Although I didn't know her as well as many of my friends, I knew that she radiated a bubbly, fun-loving personality. I can honestly say, I never heard her say anything negative. Lauren was the victim of a hit-and-run accident. Mickey was a prominent figure in our community. He was half of the town photography studio.. the other half being his lovely wife, Celeste. Mickey's effervescent personality always brought out the best in the people he was photographing. Mickey lost a very short battle with cancer. It was a blessing to know each of these individuals. Their lives have left an imprint on the ones they have left behind. Though they are gone, they will not be forgotten.

Next I would like to remember the victims that lost their lives on September 11, 2001. I pray that peace has come to their families and that we never forgot how much we lost that day.

Today is also a day of remembrance. It is the second anniversary of Hurricane Ike. Although Ike destroyed the area that I was born and raised in, it gave a great gift-- the opportunity to come together as a community and rebuild. I will never forget the day my family lost almost everything, but found each other.

Moving on to the lighter stuff...
So I watched the MTV VMA's. Don't hate. I generally despise MTV, but for some reason I tend to tune into award shows. They don't air the music I primarily listen to, but I am sometimes reminded of music that I grew up on. I almost forgot how much I loved Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington. I'm really glad that they were on. I was also excited to see Kid Cudi being nominated for Pursuit of Happiness (great song, by the way). I really don't care for Lady Gaga and Katy Perry; they get on my nerves. I especially dislike Haley Williams and Taylor Swift. They can't sing! Ahh! But really, I'm not going to lie. My favorite part was Kanye West's finale. I agree with the consensus that he is an egotistical maniac, but he is still a talented entertainer. At least give him that.

And now on to the elephant in the room:
Today is also my birthday. :) It is the last year of my teens. It's kind of bittersweet. I know, I know-- I'm a baby. But at least when all of my friends are turning 30, I will be turning 29, and so on. :D

Well that's all for now. Tune in for a news story next!


P.S. The title of this post has nothing to do with this post. I just got that song stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment