Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Let me begin by saying that I believe in the duty of Christians to uphold a Christian lifestyle and to minister to non-believers, so that they may be saved by the grace of Jesus Christ. That being said, I feel that is necessary to address the building of the "Mosque on Ground Zero". That key statement, the one fueling the debate, is wrong.
Today (September 1, 2010) the New York Times writer Colin Moynihan wrote about how "United States Representative Charles B. Rangel waded into a polarizing debate on Wednesday as he spoke out in favor of an Islamic center and mosque planned near ground zero. " NEAR ground zero. Not ON. In fact, the proposed spot for the center is two blocks away.

When I came to Baylor, I knew much less about my denomination that I thought I did. In fact, I knew quite a bit less about my faith as a whole. Thankfully, Baylor requires me to take courses to learn the Bible and the history of Christianity. The latter is quite a sad story.
I knew that Christians suffered, but I was not aware of the extent that they were tortured. I was also not aware of how unsafe it was to be considered a Protestant when the group split with the Roman Catholics, and that Baptists (or Ana-baptists) were even persecuted by their fellow Protestants. I had no idea that one of the defining characteristics of being a Baptist was believing in religious freedom.
Although I completely agree with the fact America was founded on Christian principles, I still believe that our forefathers wanted the citizens of this country to be able to practice their religions freely and with the knowledge that they were protected by the law.
For the Christians that are so angry with the thought of this mosque, I ask you, who do you carry the torch for, my young man? Is this anger for the benefit of Jesus Christ? Or would he want you to open your arms to those who believe differently than you and try to show them that they are loved by you and the Creator?I can most certainly say that he would not want you to shun them.

Although I do not support Representative Rangel from a political standpoint, I do stand with him and many others on this matter. I believe that the many Muslim-Americans who have fought side by side with Christians and other non-Christians for the freedom of this country have the right to practice their faith in a safe environment. I am aware that this statement will alarm people, but I feel convicted that it is the right answer. Judging all Muslims for the acts of terrorists is not fair. For example, what if all Christians were judged for the iniquities of our ancestors such as the crusades, slave trade and the Holocaust.

Rangel suggested that "some of the opposition to the center reflected critics’ unwillingness to embrace the country’s tradition of religious freedom and said that 'we cannot allow this type of intolerance to continue.'"
I agree with both notions. I believe that we as Christians are looking for something to be upset over as opposed to doing what we are supposed to.

We as Christians- as Americans- must be able to embrace this religious culture so that we can hold true to our core values.

Also, so I must give credit where credit is due. My witty and incisive title is a direct quote from the Brand New (best band in the world) song Archers. It's a great song by a great band on a great album. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you - if they can die for our/their freedom in this country that have every right to worship how they worship. I may not agree with HOW or WHO they worship - just as they may not agree with me. But I do give them the respect they deserve for their right!

    ReplyDelete